Monday 28 May 2007

Kitchen Travels - Little Foodies Russia

Yippeee - it's half term and though I'd planned picnics and lots of gorgeous summery type food this week I'm really pleased we're doing Russia as it's rainy and cold and we need more warming foods! I also now know why Little chose Russia. Children are very impressed by size, which is why they think it's a compliment when they tell you (or more embarrassingly other people) what an enormous bottom/tummy you have. They can then look hurt and confused when you announce that you're taking all their toys away and they'll have to earn them back by saying nice things every day for the rest of their lives! Do I sound like I've ever been told my bottom is big by my beloved children? Actually, I could have told them that but being pear shaped I don't think it reflects my overall size.... Children eh? Must teach them what you can and can't say to ladies..

Anyway I digress, Russia was chosen because it's the biggest country in the world. We've learned a few words. I think they're a bit young to be learning about the full on political history of Russia so we'll now be sticking with facts and figures, and of course the food.

We had Poached Organic English Eggs on Russian (rye style) Bread for breakfast yesterday. Debate ensued but we finally agreed they have eggs in Russia and must surely poach them sometimes. The bread was not homemade it was Organic Rossisky from The Village Bakery Melmerby (not our village just the name of the company who makes it). Written on the bag it came in, it says 'Russian-inspired rye bread based on sourdough from historic Kostroma on the Volga river'. So I now have to find out where Kostroma is and the Volga river. Sometimes ignorance is bliss! The bread went down well with the eggs though they didn't like the taste of it on it's own. Their preferred way to eat it was toasted with butter and jam. That threw up requests for more.

The boys devoured the beef stoganoff. Thankfully we weren't too greedy and had left plenty for them. Can't wait for the rest of the week. I've been checking out all sorts of websites but the waytorussia.net and russianfoods.com seem to have most things we'll need. This week we'll be having - Borsch(t) - beetroot soup, Chicken Kiev, Syrniki (cottage cheese & semolina flour patties that you fry and have as a dessert). We might also make the little filled pastries which seem to have several different names. The one thing the boys will not be having are the pickled vegetables as neither of them seem to like vinegar - shame as H and I love them.

VEG PATCH NEWS - It's coming along great, though with all the warm weather and then lots of rain I think it's maybe doing too well. A little overcrowding might be going on. I dare not mention this again... though if you're reading this my love I think the carrots could definitely do with being thinned out....

15 comments:

FH said...

Veg patch looks good!:))
Are we in Russia now? Will check Part 1 ,had been a busy long weekend.

Cynthia said...

Hello there!

I came to your blog from Freya & Paul's (Writing at the Kitchen Table). I heard that you are on a "multi-cultural culinary cursade." Since I am from the Caribbean, Guyanese, living in Barbados, I thought that I'd invite you to take on having some Caribbean food as one of your kitchen travels. I think that you would enjoy our food. You can check me out here: www.tastesofguyana.blogspot.com

Love your blog and your culinary Adventures.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Asha, Hahaha! You should see the veg patch for real the front tiered garden is looking more like a dump site!!

Hi Cynthia, Thanks for stopping by. I've been to a few Caribbean Islands and we took the boys to Barbados about 18 months ago. We love the food and it will definitely be included. I'm off to check out your blog right now. Also a neighbour of mine when I was growing up was from Guyana. He used to put Encona on everything. I think that's where my fascination with hot food comes from.

Amanda

Culinary Cowgirl said...

This is fascinating...I know very little about Russian food, but have always found it appealing. Do you know...I've never had Borscht...something I need to remedy!

wheresmymind said...

I made a killer Chicken Kiev! Killer in the fact that it is heart attack fried with butter good!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Culinary Cowgirl, I'll let you know how it goes. I've only had it once before and loved it. Not sure the boys are going to like it but we'll give it a go.

Wheresmymind - The attack of the fried butter - yes I like that!

Amanda

Susan said...

What a great, great blog. I've been traveling all over the place, too, from my own kitchen. I wouldn't have it any other way. There's too much great food in the world, and variety is definitely the spice of life. I look forward to your post on borscht and Chicken Kiev.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm....Borscht. We had a neighbour when I was growing up who made killer Borscht. It was literally to die for! I have a lovely recipe for some really delicious meatballs that you might like to try as well! Just let me know! I can't wait to see your next culinary temptation!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Amanda, I love the idea of visiting Russia. I must say that although I enjoy the food a lot I have not ventured into cooking it very often!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Susan, Thank you so much. We're just having some fun really and it's keeping me quiet about us packing up and heading off round the world for real.

Hi Marie.Yes please and thank you

Amanda

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hello Meeta, Thanks for visiting. I'd never cooked it until this week, it's great and really easy. Amanda

Truffle said...

A veg patch! I'm so envious!

I'm so pleased you're having such a great trip through Russia. Sounds like the boys are really getting into it!

Freya said...

Wow, you have an exciting menu planned and I can't wait to read all about it!

Kelly-Jane said...

I'd have bought a bread with an enticing blurb like that on the packet!

Looking forward to seeing this weeks progress :)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Truffle, Thank you, it's great for emotional highs and lows, more of which another time.

Freya & Paul, Thank you, can't wait to get on with it today, cold and hungry for savoury already and it's only 10am.

KJ - it's the blurb that does it everytime!! :) BTW. Do you have shares in Amazon?

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs